Ban on barley is brewing up future trouble
Grain prices have been on an upward trend for some time now and the Russian ban on grain exports following the severe drought in many part of that country over this summer, has led to a spike in prices.
Depending if Russia decides to extend the ban into 2011 or not, this recent spike should not really affect the price of beer in any significant way ; major brewers all hedge the long term cost of the barley they use in the brewing process to avoid the effect of exactly this kind of price spike.
However the longer term trend in food prices, in a world where populations and wealth in highly populated countries is expanding significantly, will eventually make its way through to the cost of the humble pint.
Any panic is probably overdone, but longer term increase in the cost of the raw materials which go into the brewing process will filter through into the price of the average pint in years to come and without significant change in legislation, will further squeeze the margins of pubs and bars in the UK.
At Beyond The Blue Training & Consultancy we deliver a number of different courses and services, which include;
- Consultancy Service – helps clients develop or re-focus their business and guide them towards success.
- The Award in Responsible Alcohol Retailing (ARAR) designed for front-line staff to help them meet their statutory requirements;
- The National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) which qualifies candidates to apply for their personal licence;
- The National Certificate for Designated Premises Supervisors (NCDPS) which provides relevant information for anyone assuming the position of DPS in licensed premises.
- Conflict Management and Resolution training compliments personal development and helps employees deal proactively with Workplace Violence.
- Our Personal Safety for Lone Workers course teaches the core skills to help employees deal effectively with alcohol and drug related personal safety issues.
For more information on any of our services, please call us on 0845 602 55 95 or Contact Us.
To view the original article Click Here
Source – Daily Mail
Date – 10th August 2010
Submitted by – Peter Mayhew