Application to Vary a Premises Licence Service
We deliver a complete Premises Licence Variation service for clients who are seeking to make changes to an existing premises licence.
The premises licence variation service gives our clients the peace of mind to know that their application to vary a premises licence will be completed professionally by our experienced licensing consultants.
Our licensing consultants have many years of experience completing premises licence variations for a wide variety of premises; these include retail shops, bars, restaurants, night clubs, hotels, blue chip companies and event spaces. For more details please visit The Advantage of Licensing Consultants >>
How We Approach a Premises Licence Variation
- Discuss the premises licence variation with the client – We discuss the details of the application to vary a premises licence and use all our experience and knowledge to advise our client of all their options; final recommendations are based on these discussion and the client’s business plan.
- Site visit to the premises – Where required we conduct a site visit to hold the initial client consultation. We take the opportunity to review the proposed application to vary the premises licence and familiarise ourselves with the business and its location.
- Premises licence plan – Where required we develop new premises licence plans to the required scale.
- Consult with the responsible authorities – We consult with the appropriate responsible authorities (police, licensing authority, environmental health etc.), depending on the nature of the premises licence variation. Where appropriate / possible we seek to reach consensus prior to submitting the application to vary the premises licence, in order to pre-empt any challenges the application may face.
- Submit the premises licence variation – We complete the premises licence variation documentation and submit these to the licensing authority with the associated fees. The completed application to vary a premises licence is then simultaneously forwarded to the eight other responsible authorities.
- Organise the public notices – We arrange for the required public notice to be published in a local newspaper within the appropriate time-frame and provide sufficient public notices in the specified format to be placed in a prominent location(s) outside the premises.
- Reviewing & Resolving Representations – We will review any representations (objections) received against your premises licence variation and advise on a strategy going forward. We will where possible and / or appropriate negotiate with those who submit representations, with a view to resolving them.
- Check and return the premises licence – Following a successful variation, the newly issued premises licence is checked by one of our licensing consultants and sent on to the client within 24 hours of being received by us.
Representation at Licensing Committee Hearings
If representations (objections) are received against your premises licence variation, which cannot be resolved through negotiation, as described in point 7 above, we provide follow-up services:
- Hold discussions to resolve representations – We will lead negotiations on behalf of the client to discuss any representations received, with a view to delivering solutions which will allow representations to be withdrawn.
- Represent clients at licensing committee hearings – When it has not been possible to resolve representations through a consensus approach, we represent the client at the subsequent licensing committee hearing.
Our fees for this service are transparent; however some of the fees are variable subject to the nature of the premises and complexity of the premises licence variation.
- Premises licence variation service – £540.00. This includes completion of the application to vary a premises licence, public notice for display, all negotiations carried out prior to submitting the premises licence variation and where necessary the initial site visit.
- Premises licence variation fee – Variable fees. This is a fixed fee payable to the licensing authority and is based on the non-domestic rateable value of the property. We pay this fee on our client’s behalf and charge it back at cost.
- Newspaper notice fee – Variable fees. We will source the most cost effective local newspaper in which to advertise the premises licence variation and charge this back to the client at the list price.
- Premises plans – Variable fees. Where we are required to develop plans of the premises or photocopy large format plans, the cost of these services will be added.
- Additional time - £85.00 per hour. Where additional time is required above the time allocated within the standard service package, for detailed negotiations or consultations, additional meetings or site visits and other work associated with the premises licence variation, this will be charged out by the hour. Any additional costs are always discussed with the client in advance of being incurred.
- Representation at Licensing Committee Hearings – £85.00 per hour. Where premises licence variations are referred to a Licensing Committee hearing, our licensing consultants can prepare a defence and provide representation for clients at the Licensing Committee Hearing.
- Postage - Variable fees. We post all documents related to premises licence variations by special delivery or where required by next day delivery.
- Travel2 – Where travel and over-night stays are required, additional travel costs apply.
Requirement to Vary a Premises Licence
An application to vary a premises licence is required where you intend to make operational changes to the existing premises licence which may affect the licensing objectives; the reasons to apply to vary a premises licence include:
- Change the permitted hours for licensable activities – Extend the hours during which you can sell or supply alcohol, carry out regulated entertainment or provide late night refreshment.
- Change the operating hours – Extend the hours members of the public are allowed to be on the premises.
- Add to the permitted licensable activities – add licensable activities not covered by your existing premises licence.
- Amend the plan of the premises –Where structural changes take place or the area covered by the licence is extended, a new plan must be submitted.
- Remove or change premises licence conditions – Where premises licence conditions are no longer applicable or are overly restrictive, these can be removed or changed through a premises licence variation.
Where your proposed changes are not going to have any material effect the licensing objectives, you may be eligible to submit a Minor Variation of a Premises Licence >>
Premises licence variations are generally easier than a new Premises Licence Application and should be given serious consideration prior to surrendering a premises licence in favour of a new application.
For further information please call 01784 434 392 / 0845 602 55 95 and speak with one of our Professional Licensing Consultants.
Beyond the Blue’s Licensing Consultants
Our professional licensing consultants have years of experience working and negotiating with different licensing authorities, police services and other responsible authorities.
We have submitted many successful premises licence applications, variations and transfers as well as successfully representing many clients at licensing committee hearings. Below are just a few recent examples:
• The Yacht London (Westminster City Council) • Italian Traditions ‘& Pasta’ (Westminster City Council – West End Stress Area) • BlackRock (City of London) • Household Cavalry Museum & Horse Guards Parade Ground (Westminster City Council) • Coolcats Café (London Borough of Southwark) • HooHaas (Wokingham Borough Council) • Salem Stores (London Borough of Islington) • No Curfew (London Borough of Hackney – Shoreditch Special Policy Area) • Café Leo (London Borough of Richmond upon Thames) • Food Choice Ltd. (London Borough of Waltham Forest) • Arco Bars (Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) • Rainbow Restaurant (London Borough of Croydon) • Taste of Siam (London Borough of Camden – Camden Town Cumulative Impact Policy Area) •
There are a many good reasons why you should choose an experienced licensing consultant to undertake your premises licence application. For more information please visit The Advantage of Licensing Consultants >>
1All fees are exclusive of vat at the current rate.
2Travel is undertaken by public transport or car and charged to the client at the cost of the cheapest option. Where overnight stays are required, these are also charged out at cost. Where travel of more than 60 minutes from our offices in Surrey is required, services may be subject to additional fees to cover travel time.
Additional fees which may be incurred, are agreed with the client in advance.
• BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Course • BIIAB Level 2 Award for Designated Premises Supervisors (ADPS) Course • Authorisation to Sell Alcohol Induction Course • Alcohol Licensing • Licensing Consultancy Service • Licensing Resources & Downloads • Premises Licence Application Service • Premises Licence Variations • Temporary Event Notice (T.E.N.) Service • Why Choose Beyond the Blue • Testimonials • Our Clients • Approval Ratings & Learner Feedback • Latest News Blog • Facebook • Twitter • LinkedIn •
Page Updated: 4th October 2013