Premises Licence Transfer Service
We deliver a complete Premises Licence Transfer service for clients who require the transfer of a premises licence from the current holder of the licence into their own or their business name.
The premises licence transfer service gives our clients the peace of mind to know that their transfer of the premises licence will be completed professionally by our experienced licensing consultants, in the quickest possible time-frame.
Our licensing consultants have many years of experience completing premises licence transfers for a wide variety of premises; these include retail shops, bars, restaurants, night clubs, hotels, blue chip companies and event spaces. For more details please visit The Advantage of Licensing Consultants >>
How We Approach a Premises Licence Transfer
- Discuss the premises licence transfer with the client – We discuss the details of the transfer and use all our experience and knowledge to advise our client of all their options; final recommendations are based on these discussion and your business plan.
- Notify the existing premises licence holder – We contact the existing premises licence holder to notify them of the transfer and obtain the relevant consents.
- Submit the premises licence transfer – We complete all the transfer documentation and submit these to the licensing authority with the associated fees. The completed premises licence transfer is then simultaneously forwarded to the police and the existing Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is notified as required.
- Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - Where required we can also complete the Variation of to Specify an Individual as the Designated Premises Supervisor >>
- Police objections – In exceptional circumstances the police may object to the transfer of a premises licence. This is a very unusual development and in such cases we advise clients of their options and any additional costs of representation.
- Check and return the premises licence – Following a successful transfer, the newly issued premises licence is checked by one of our licensing consultants and sent on to the client within 24 hours of being received by us.
Our fees for this service are transparent; where premises licence transfers are more complex, some of the costs will be variable.
- Premises licence transfer service – £127.50
- Local Authority transfer fee – £23.00. We pay this fee on our client’s behalf and charge it back at cost.
- Additional time - £85.00 per hour. Where additional time is required above the time allocated within the standard service package, for detailed negotiations or consultations, additional meetings or site visits and other work associated with the premises licence transfer, this will be charged out by the hour. Any additional costs are always discussed with the client in advance of being incurred.
- Travel2 – Where travel and over-night stays are required, these are charged out at cost
Premises Licence Check
We strongly recommend that any client seeking to take over and existing premises licence carefully checks that licence prior to committing themselves or signing a lease.
Restrictions and conditions on a premises licence can have a significant impact on any business plan, by restricting the ability to trade as the business plan proposes or adding significant cost through restrictive conditions.
The assumption should not be made that the restrictions or conditions can be altered following the transfer of a premises licence. This will depend on the nature and history of the premises as well as the local licensing policy.
Our licensing consultants can provide clients with guidance and a professional opinion on the existing premises licence prior to enable them to factor in any factors which may negatively impact their business plan.
Our licensing consultants will use their extensive experience to deliver professional advice and opinion on the client’s options going forward.
Premises Licence Check Fees2 - The fees for our premises licence check service will vary depending on the complexity of a licence. The fees are based upon our hourly consultancy rate outlined above (‘additional time’). A typical or ‘standard’ premises licence check will be charged out at 1 hour.
Premises Licence Transfers
The premises licence transfer process allows a new owner of a licensed business / premises to transfer the existing premises licence into their own or their business name.
Premises licence transfers are significantly easier than a new Premises Licence Application and should be one of the first steps undertaken when taking over a licensed premises; in order to safeguard to validity of the premises licence.
Once the premises licence has been transferred into the new owner’s possession, further consideration can be given to the effectiveness of the existing licence and any changes that might need to be undertaken to change the licence to better reflect the proposed new business. This can be achieved through a Minor Variation or a full Premises Licence Variation >>
When a premises licence transfer is made ‘immediate interim effect’ can be requested so that the transfer takes immediate effect preventing any business interruption while the transfer is determined.
Any premises licence where alcohol is served requires a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) to be appointed. If as part of the transfer the DPS is going to change then an application will also need to be made for a Variation to Specify an Individual as the Designated Premises Supervisor >>
If the previous business has become insolvent there is an urgency it completing a transfer of the premises licence, as after 28 days the existing licence would effectively become void. There is the possibility of delaying this by applying for an Interim Authority Notice to effectively put the licence on hold for up to three months while other issues such as leases, planning etc. are dealt with.
For further information please call 01784 434 392 / 0800 066 55 24 and speak with one of our Professional Licensing Consultants.
Beyond the Blue’s Licensing Consultants
Our professional licensing consultants have years of experience working and negotiating with different licensing authorities, police services and other responsible authorities.
We have submitted many successful premises licence applications, variations and transfers as well as successfully representing many clients at licensing committee hearings. Below are just a few recent examples:
• The Yacht London (Westminster City Council) • Italian Traditions ‘& Pasta’ (Westminster City Council – West End Stress Area) • BlackRock Investments (City of London) • Household Cavalry Museum & Horse Guards Parade Ground (Westminster City Council) • Coolcats Café (London Borough of Southwark) • HooHaas (Wokingham Borough Council) • Salem Stores (London Borough of Islington) • No Curfew (London Borough of Hackney – Shoreditch Special Policy Area) • Café Leo (London Borough of Richmond upon Thames) • Food Choice Ltd. (London Borough of Waltham Forest) • Arco Bars (Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) • Rainbow Restaurant (London Borough of Croydon) •
There are a many good reasons why you should choose an experienced licensing consultant to undertake your premises licence transfer. For more information please visit The Advantage of Licensing Consultants >>
1All fees are exclusive of vat at the current rate.
2Where travel of more than 50 miles from our offices in Surrey is required, services may be subject to additional fees to cover travel expenses. Travel is undertaken by public transport or car and charged to the client at the cost of the cheapest option. Where overnight stays are required, these are also charged out at cost.
Additional fees which may be incurred, are agreed with the client in advance.
• BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Course • BIIAB Level 2 Award for Designated Premises Supervisors (ADPS) Course • Authorisation to Sell Alcohol Induction Course • Alcohol Licensing • Licensing Consultancy Service • Licensing Resources & Downloads • Premises Licence Application Service • Premises Licence Variations • Temporary Event Notice (T.E.N.) Service • Why Choose Beyond the Blue • Testimonials • Our Clients • Approval Ratings & Learner Feedback • Latest News Blog • Facebook • Twitter • LinkedIn •
Page Updated: 2nd September 2015