Variation to Specify the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) Service
We offer a complete application service for clients who are required to ‘vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor (DPS)’ for an existing premises licence or as part of a Transfer of a Premises Licence >>
This service allows our clients the peace of mind to know their application to change the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) will be completed comprehensively and in the quickest possible time-frame.
How we Approach your DPS Variation
- Discussion with the client – We contact the client to discuss the requirements and the particulars of the variation to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor. We use our experience and knowledge to advise them of all their options and make recommendations based on their business plan.
- DPS consent form – We arrange for the new designated premises supervisor consent form to be filled in and signed.
- Submit the application to vary the DPS on the premises licence – We complete the variation of the DPS and organise for the application forms, the consent forms, the existing premises licence and fees to be submitted. The completed variation of the designated premises supervisor is forwarded to the Licensing Authority and the Police.
- Check the premises licence – Successful variations of a premises licence to specify an individual as the DPS are checked by one of our licensing consultants and sent on to the client within 48 hours of being received by us.
Our fees for the variation of the DPS service are transparent:
- Variation of the DPS Service - £165.00
- Licensing Authority Fee – £23.00
- Immediate Variation of the DPS2 – Additional fees will apply where the immediate variation of the DPS has to be done in person (see below for further details). However any additional fees are always agreed in advance with the client.
Please Contact Us >> or call us on 01784 434 392 / 0800 066 55 24 to book this service or to speak with one of our licensing consultants.
Why Appoint a Designated Premises Supervisor / DPS?
No sale of alcohol can be made without an appointed designated premises supervisor (DPS); this is a mandatory condition of the Licensing Act 2003, which applies to all premises license holders. Failure to have an appointed DPS carries a Maximum Penalty of Unlimited Fine and / or 6 Months Imprisonment.
A DPS must be a personal licence holder; personal licence holders must have completed the Award for Personal Licence Holders / APLH Course >>
Immediate Variation to Specify an Individual as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)
Where an existing designated premises supervisor leaves a business with immediate effect, preventing the sale of alcohol until a new DPS is appointed, the Licensing Act 2003 allows for an ‘immediate variation’ of the designated premises supervisor to be made.
An immediate variation of the designated premises supervisor, allows a premises licence holder to remove the existing DPS from the licence and replace them with a new Designated Premises Supervisor; the appointment takes effect immediately, allowing the business to continue selling alcohol.
The police have up to 14 days from the day they receive a variation of the designated premises supervisor, to make representations (objections) against the appointment.
Where an immediate variation to specify the DPS is made, the police retain this right, however until such time as a representation is lodged and the subsequent hearing held, the newly appointed DPS can fulfil the role of designated premises supervisor and the premises can continue to sell alcohol.
The exact method for immediate variations of a DPS varies slightly between different local licensing authorities:
- Online / Electronically – Most licensing authorities provide the facility for a variation of the DPS to be completed online or via email.
- In Person – Some local authorities will require (or prefer) this process to be completed in person. This requires us to go to the licensing authority and present them with all the relevant documentation.
- By Fax – Immediate variations to specify and individual as the DPS can sometimes be done by faxing the relevant documentation to the licensing authority and the police.
- By Post – Where a few days are available before the change of DPS has to be completed, applications for the immediate variation of the designated premises supervisor can be made by recorded mail.
For further details please Contact Us >> or call us on 01784 434 392 / 0800 066 55 25 to speak with one of our licensing consultants.
Beyond the Blue’s Licensing Consultants
Our professional licensing consultants have years of experience working and negotiating with different licensing authorities, police services and other responsible authorities.
We have submitted many successful premises licence applications, transfers and variations; we have also successfully argued many cases with in front of licensing committees. Below are just a few examples:
• The Yacht London (Westminster City Council) • Italian Traditions ‘& Pasta’ (Westminster City Council – West End Stress Area) • BlackRock (City of London) • Household Cavalry Museum & Horse Guards Parade Ground (Westminster City Council) • Coolcats Café (London Borough of Southwark) • HooHaas (Wokingham Borough Council) • Salem Stores (London Borough of Islington) • No Curfew (London Borough of Hackney – Shoreditch Special Policy Area) • Café Leo (London Borough of Richmond upon Thames) • Food Choice Ltd. (London Borough of Waltham Forest) • Arco Bars (Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea) •
There are a many good reasons why you should choose an experienced licensing consultant to undertake your variation of the designated premises supervisor. For more information please visit The Advantage of Licensing Consultants >>
1All fees are quoted exclusive of vat at the current rate
2If a Variation of the Designated Premises Supervisor attracts representations from the police, additional time (for correspondence, meetings etc.), above that standard time allocated within the service package, will be agreed in advance with the client and fees will be based on our hourly consultancy rate.
• BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Course • BIIAB Level 2 Award for Designated Premises Supervisors (ADPS) Course • Alcohol Licensing • Licensing Consultancy Service • Personal Licence Information • Premises Licence Application Service • Premises Licence Variations • Premises Licence Transfers • Temporary Events Notice (T.E.N.) Service • Why Choose Beyond the Blue • Our Clients • Approval Ratings & Learner Feedback • Latest News Blog • Facebook • Twitter • LinkedIn •
Page Updated: 22nd October 2019